Re: EntityReference

From: Mike Champion <mcc@arbortext.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Jul 1998 21:42:43 -0400
To: steve@crc.ricoh.com (Stephen R. Savitzky)
Cc: www-dom@w3.org
At 09:15 PM 7/29/98 -0400, Stephen R. Savitzky wrote:
>Mike Champion <mcc@arbortext.com> writes:
>
>> For better or worse, the Level 1 DOM is being driven by the need for a
>> standard that allows  Dynamic HTML scripts that interoperate between the NS
>> and MS browsers.  We are, to a certain extent, rushing the spec out the
>> door to avoid missing the window of opportunity provided by the 5.0
>> releases of the browsers, because if we miss it, the opportunity is gone
>> forever.
>
>Just how much time do we have?

Essentially none.  The spec must go to the W3C ASAP, by the middle of next
week at the latest.

>In the interests of moving things along, let me make some very specific
>suggestions:
>

>2. in Node:
>   add:	 boolean inDocument();
>
>	This will allow ``orphan'' nodes to be identified without
>	requiring each Document to have an identifiable DocumentFragment
>	that contains newly-created nodes.  It does not preclude such a
>	fragment, however.

We're discussing this, although there seems to be some confusion as to why
this is necesary to you and others who have suggested it.

As for your other suggestions, I'll take a close look at them the next pass
thru the spec.