Re: EntityReference

At 12:17 PM 7/29/98 -0400, Stephen R. Savitzky wrote:
>What I want to see is SOME consideration in the specification for different
>kinds of applications, such as server-side processing, document
>transformation, syntactic verification, indexing, and editing, for which
>these behaviors are NOT appropriate.  I want the specification to make it
>clear that these behaviors are OPTIONAL, and required only in applications
>where they make sense.

For better or worse, the Level 1 DOM is being driven by the need for a
standard that allows  Dynamic HTML scripts that interoperate between the NS
and MS browsers.  We are, to a certain extent, rushing the spec out the
door to avoid missing the window of opportunity provided by the 5.0
releases of the browsers, because if we miss it, the opportunity is gone
forever.

Clearly full-blown XML support and serious consideration  of server-side
processing has suffered from this.  Level 2 *can* address these issues much
more effectively, and one possibility for Level 2 is a minimal DOM (perhaps
synchronized with some subset of XML that others may be defining). It's
important for people who care about them to make their needs known, via
their W3C reps, by joining the W3C, by regularly looking for Level 2
information on our Web site and  participating on this mailing list, etc.