Re: parentNode

From: <keshlam@us.ibm.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Jul 1998 20:34:57 -0400
To: www-dom@w3.org
In Java, you can create an object that has no public constructor, in which
case "new" will simply not be available. That's part of how one enforces
singletons and factories and static-only classes and some of the other
design patterns. (Gods know I've done it accidentally enough times.) This
does require that you not inherit from anything that has a public
constructor, and/or that you override it to private.

Can't vouch for Smalltalk; I can sometimes read the language but have never
written it.