Re: Query regarging nodeName and getTagName()

From: Lauren Wood <lauren@sqwest.bc.ca>
Date: Tue, 28 Jul 1998 15:08:51 -0700
To: www-dom@w3.org
At 28/07/98 03:03 PM , Stephen R. Savitzky wrote:

>In the documentation for Element, it is specified that, in the following
>example,
>               <elementExample id="demo">
>               </elementExample>
>
>getTagName returns "elementExample".  Would the attribute nodeName contain
>"demo" in this case?  If that's true, perhaps getTagName should be renamed
>something like getElementTag, or nodeName renamed nodeID.

No, nodeName returns elementExample as well.

>It would seem essential that the nodeName contain the ID, because that's the
>only way you can use NamedNodeMap to represent the ID/NAME namespace, but
>it's not really clear in the specification.

This only works in the HTML specification, where you can use
HTMLDocument.getElementById(in wstring elementId); and
HTMLDocument.getElementsByName(in wstring elementName);

We're planning on doing a filter/query language in Level 2 to give people
that functionality for XML as well; it gets a little more complicated when
an attribute can be called ID but not be of type ID, or be of type ID but
not be called ID.

Lauren