Re: DOM Level 1 doesn't do everything

From: Lauren Wood <lauren@sqwest.bc.ca>
Date: Tue, 28 Jul 1998 13:59:33 -0700
To: www-dom@w3.org
At 28/07/98 01:49 PM , keshlam@us.ibm.com wrote:
>DOM1 not doing everything: Makes sense to me.
>But the more I look at it, the more I'd argue that live index-based
>NodeLists belong in that second category, if they're needed at all. Live
>isn't bad. Array-like isn't bad. The combination of both with a "gather"
>call is murderous.
>Is there any chance we could talk you into changing the NodeList.item()
>call back into a tree-walking first()/next()/previous()/last() API? Among
>other justifications, that's going to be cheaper to process if it turns out
>that we only needed the first few responses from ...ByTagName().

The are some on the committee who agree with you 100% on this one; and
others who equally can't see why we want next/previous at all, because they
think that index-based lookups and navigation are much more natural to the
user... so we ended up with both methods in effect. (all those
next/previous-walking methods on Node).

Yes, the getElementsByTagName is an exception, but when we do the full
filter/query system (planned for Level 2) we'll also probably have
iterators to hold the results of those, so getElementsByTagName might
become completely superfluous.