Re: DOM Level 1 doesn't do everything

From: <keshlam@us.ibm.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Jul 1998 16:49:23 -0400
To: www-dom@w3.org
DOM1 not doing everything: Makes sense to me.

But the more I look at it, the more I'd argue that live index-based
NodeLists belong in that second category, if they're needed at all. Live
isn't bad. Array-like isn't bad. The combination of both with a "gather"
call is murderous.

Is there any chance we could talk you into changing the NodeList.item()
call back into a tree-walking first()/next()/previous()/last() API? Among
other justifications, that's going to be cheaper to process if it turns out
that we only needed the first few responses from ...ByTagName().

Does integer indexing really have an advantage that justifies its
additional cost in both implementation and computation costs? I can't think
of one.

(I know I'm coming into this discussion late, and I'm not on the committee,
so if in fact this has already been hashed out please feel free to just
tell me so. But to this novice's eyes, it looks like you're making life
much harder for yourselves -- and us -- than is really necessary.)