RE: Implementing NodeList

From: Gavin Thomas Nicol <gtn@eps.inso.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Jul 1998 11:45:59 -0700
To: "Claude Zervas" <claude@utlco.com>, "Stephen R. Savitzky" <steve@crc.ricoh.com>, "Mike Champion" <mcc@arbortext.com>
Cc: <keshlam@us.ibm.com>, <www-dom@w3.org>
> Despite the current DOM spec's notice about the DOM not being usable in a
> multithreaded environment it really has to be on the server-side when many
clients
> are accessing the same document at once. Otherwise resource usage becomes
> intolerable. To make NodeList and HTMLCollection always live is
> really asking for non-standard implementations. Maybe there needs to
> be a 'Scripting DOM' for the browser implementors and a spec for
> everything else that lends itself to somewhat efficient implementations.
>
> I'm fairly certain that the most intensive use of the DOM will
> not be for client-side special effects but on the server for
> more interesting document services via servlets et al.

The current spec indicates that we have not defined the *standard* way
a user can use the DOM in a threaded environment: that stuff will be
added in level 2.

Also, as I noted, one way to handle "liveness" is to simply say that
documents are locked... effectively making them read-only, in which
case liveness is moot.