Re: latest DOM spec 19980720

From: Stephen R. Savitzky <steve@crc.ricoh.com>
Date: 21 Jul 1998 15:14:15 -0700
To: David Brownell <db@Eng.Sun.COM>
Cc: www-dom@w3.org
David Brownell <db@Eng.Sun.COM> writes:

> > Some languages don't _have_ a type-checking mechanism -- C++
> > is an example.
>
> Eh?  Did someone delete RTTI after the ANSI committee finally
> added it?  Admittedly there are many implementations that don't
> support it (or make it a "default off" option, same effect).

Oops.  I have to admit that most of my C++ experience predates RTTI, but I
should have remembered that.  It's still less efficient than a set of
conversion methods, but I'll admit that the latter is ugly and not
particularly extensible.

--
 Stephen R. Savitzky   Chief Software Scientist, Ricoh Silicon Valley, Inc.,
<steve@rsv.ricoh.com>                            California Research Center