Re: To wstring or not to wstring...

From: ANOQ of the Sun <anoq@vip.cybercity.dk>
Date: Tue, 07 Jul 1998 20:11:04 +0200
To: DOM List <www-dom@w3.org>
Smith, Bennett wrote:
> This discussion of wchar/wstring in IDL worries me.  If it is true that
> the various operating systems implement wide characters in various byte
> lengths and encodings, how does proposing that a sequence be used in the
> DOM IDL help anything?  It seems to me that by using the sequence in the
> DOM IDL spec. you are then asking each implementor to handle the data
> marshaling/unmarshaling for wide characters to/from any other platform.
> Is this true?

As I see it, you will only be converting text when reading input
from somewhere (an XML-file or whatever) and building a DOM
hierachy. You might need this conversion anyway, depending
on the file format etc. Then there's a conversion when rendering
text output from a DOM hierachy, but that might still be
necessay, depending on how / where it is rendered.

If at least the DOM spec. is consitent, you have rules to
follow.

Cheers
--
,