toString on element?

From: Alfie Kirkpatrick <akirkpatrick@ims-global.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Mar 1998 11:50:42 +0000
To: www-dom@w3.org
Having used the DOM spec for a couple of projects
now, I've found it would be useful to have a toString
method on Element (similar to that on Attribute).

I understand that it could be a _really_ bad idea
to call toString on a large node in the document
but many XML applications will be using small XML
files as input to other processes, and having to
write your own toString routine could put some
people off. A bool parameter could specify whether
nested elements cause an error or whether they
are processed recursively.

Alfie.