Re: NodeIterators & Java implementation

From: Don Park <donpark@quake.net>
Date: Mon, 11 May 1998 03:20:12 -0700
To: <www-dom@w3.org>
Alfie,

>Would it not be possible for a Java implementation to mimic this
>COM behaviour to get around the "GC problem". I don't understand
>the Java case too well, so maybe this isn't an option. I suppose
>what you (Don) are asking for is exactly this, written into the spec.
>However, it might actually cause confusion in a COM implementation
>(DOM release on top of the COM release!)

You are right in that COM programmers will instinctively (yeah right, COM is
real natural *add some rolling eyes here *) invoke Release which will
conflict with 'release' method.  One ugly solution would be to double AddRef
to account for double release.
Better solution would be to name the release method to match the COM Release
method.  Its almost COM-ical when you think about it.

Regards,

Don Park
http://www.docuverse.com/personal/index.html