Re: Binary

From: Gavin Nicol <gtn@eps.inso.com>
Date: Thu, 7 May 1998 17:39:06 -0400
To: bashor@crossroute.com
CC: www-dom@w3.org
>Basically I'm wonding how binary objects are to be handled in the DOM.
>Was any consideration given to including a Binary interface derived from
>Node in Level 1?  As you can guess, I am concerned that any BLOB that I
>wanted to store in the object model will double in size (unnecessarily)
>in a Text or CDATASection node.

This was discussed in Malbourne as part of the discussion about NDATA
entities (the only way to get binary data in XML). I noted that we
probably need to provide some interface for directly accessing the
binary data, and I think most people agreed in principal.

Expect to see something in the next spec. I will be revising the stuff
on entities, and will take care of this then.