Re: NodeIterators & Java implementation

From: Don Park <donpark@quake.net>
Date: Thu, 7 May 1998 12:16:24 -0700
To: <www-dom@w3.org>
>We expect that the DOM will be used in the context of various languages and
>object system, each which might have its own mechanism for memory
management.
>Any specific binding of the DOM should be able to specify its own memory
>management primitives. COM, for example, has its own notion of reference
>counting, including AddRef() and Release() methods in the base IUnknown
>interface. JavaScript is a garbage collected language. In both cases, an
>explicit "release" method specified by the DOM would be redundant and
>unnecessary. Since memory management is so object system specific, I
strongly
>believe that the DOM should not mandate its own primitives.

I understand the issues but my point is that language specific memory
management primitives can be neatly packaged within the 'release' method.
COM version of 'release' method could invoke IUnknown->Release().  Java
version could move the object to a pool for recycling.  If a language does
not require it, then it could be no-op.

I can understand why dress designer avoids pockets but I really do not see
what substantial gains avoiding 'release' bring to DOM other than
architectural beauty.

Regards,

Don Park
http://www.docuverse.com/personal/index.html