Re: NodeIterators & Java implementation

From: Don Park <donpark@quake.net>
Date: Thu, 7 May 1998 11:01:58 -0700
To: <www-dom@w3.org>
One topic that is missing from the spec is how to free/delete/release
objects obtained through DOM.  For example, what should one do with Node
returned by Node.removeChild?  Document interface has methods for creating
objects but nothing to delete them.  Are we do assume that language specific
facilities are to be used?  Do we use 'delete' operator or 'free()' under
C++?  What about CORBA and COM-based implementations?  One does not just
'delete' under COM.

Also how do we know which objects should be deleted and which one should not
be?  What is wrong is designating 'release' on Node as well as iterators as
Java specific delete facility?  For that matter, why not move it all the way
up so everyone can standardize on the delete facility?  It would certain
remove a lot of headaches.  If one is smart enough to invoke getNodeChilds,
why is requiring invokation of release() too much?

Don Park
http://www.docuverse.com/personal/index.html