Re: Alternative to the Live NodeIterator

From: Don Park <donpark@quake.net>
Date: Fri, 1 May 1998 20:59:14 -0700
To: <www-dom@w3.org>
Mike,

>I read the objections to this, and none of them resonate with me
>(admittedly it's late on a Friday night ...).  Like Peter, I'm not rabidly
>opposed to a "release" method on iterators (or other DOM objects), but am
>far from persuaded that they add anything useful (especially for ECMAScript
>programmers, who are not going to think about "freeing" resources).

If ECMAScript programmers do not call release(), Nodes will simply
accumulate NodeIterators and will work in most cases.  When NodeIterator
accumulates enough to slow down editing operations, release() method can be
called by ECMAScript programmers as a performance enhancement.

In reality, most ECMAScript will be using C++/C based DOM implementation and
NodeIterator.release can be called by the implementation implicitly.

Bottom line is that there is no conflict with the release idea and
ECMAScript.

Regards,

Don Park
http://www.docuverse.com/personal/index.html