Re: Comments and requests.

From: Martin Bryan <mtbryan@sgml.u-net.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Oct 1997 08:59:11 +0100
To: "Alexandre Rafalovitch" <arafalov@socs.uts.EDU.AU>, <www-dom@w3.org>

Alexandre Rafalovitch <arafalov@socs.uts.EDU.AU> wrote on 16 October 1997
02:37:

>These are comments on DOM Level 1 document as of 9th of October draft.

>In Element:
>  There might be comments inside the tag (eg <foo --this is foo-- bar=val>
>  Am I correct in understanding that comment node should be generated for
>  that and returned in getChildren() call, but not in getAttributes()
>  call. The alternative is to not represent in-tag comment in DOM. What
>  about error nodes. (I know they should not happen, but....)

Comments are not allowed in SGML/XMl start-tags or end-tags. If they are
allowed in HTML (which I doubt) we can forget the idea of associating DTDs
with HTML!

>In PI:
> I don't know about XML, but isn't PI ends with >, not ?>.

In HTML > is used as the PIC delimiter, in XML ?> is used for the same
delimiter. What is important is to know what the apporpriate SGML
declaration says should be used as the PIC delimiter.

>Whitespace for HTML:
>  If I have a sequence of whitespace, would the corresponding TextObject
>contain a single whitespace or multiple whitespace? Basically, whether
>space collapsing should happen before or after DOM?

Before