Re: foundations: the term "text entity" [WD-xml-lang-970630]]

From: Gavin Nicol <gtn@eps.inso.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 1997 13:33:19 -0400
To: www-dom@w3.org

A response I sent to Paul Grosso, after he had responded to
Bert Bos who incorrectly thought that entities did not appear
in the DOM.

% >Regarding the untransformed, off-the-wire, document instance tree/dag
% >(which the DOM is calling the initial structure model), there are NO
% >declarations or replacement texts in the instance, just entity references.
%
% I'm not sure this is correct. In the DOM, entity refrences are
% indicated by an EntityStart and EntityEnd pair, or at least were.
% The important things that the DOM must define are:
%
%   1) Some way of indicating that an entity was referenced
%   2) Some way of getting at the replacement text/NDATA
%   3) Some way of allowing entities to be lazily resolved.
%
% I will be reviewing the DOM draft today, and expect to have a
% substantial number of suggestions based on the quick scan I did
% of it this morning.
%
%
%