Re: XPath API start

From: <jeroen@tcf.nl>
Date: Wed, 3 May 2000 22:19:17 +0200 (CEST)
To: www-dom-xpath@w3.org

> > - it doesn't make too much sense to offer a complete API for parsed XPath
>
> > queries although this is possible
>
> What might you add if it was a "complete API"?  Interfaces for the
> structure so that tools could manipulate it?

Yep, that's what I meant.

> > - it should cover the complete XPath implementation
> Should this include function extensions?  (I would think yes).

you're right, I have to dig into that.

> > - our product is a Java product so the API's are in java which is alright
> for
> > discussion purposes.
>
> I think Java is fine.  But we should make sure a C++ API of some sort is
> defined before we freeze, IMHO.

Actually what I meant here is that the example is to start the discussion, I'm
in favor of a language independent setup.

> Why org.w3c.dom.xpath and not org.w3c.xpath??  (as per my previous mails).

Currently we have implemented it on top of DOM, although it was a poor mans
choice. I think it should be an integral part of DOM.

> > XPathResultIf
>
> I don't understand the "If" postfix in the names.  I assume it has some
> significance?

Remember this is our implementation which was an example. We use a standard
where our interfaces have a suffix If, which obviously is different from the w3c
convention.

Jeroen

Jeroen van Rotterdam
The Connection Factory