RE: [dom-xpath] XPath or? (was RE: Announcing www-dom-xpath@w3.or g)

From: Miles Sabin <msabin@cromwellmedia.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 3 May 2000 18:56:35 +0100
To: www-dom-xpath@w3.org
Scott Boag wrote,
> Just because I have a method that is passed a node, doesn't
> mean I can't cast to node to a given implementation, and be
> optimized, but otherwise throw an exception if the given
> implementation isn't supported.

So whose implementation will you cast to to get hold of those
optimized query hooks? Yours, obviously. But what about ours?
Jonathan and Mikes?; Suns? etc. etc.

And do you expect me to support _your_ implementation when for
all I know you'll be changing those non-public query hooks from
week to week?

Adding an XPath query API to the DOM allows optimized XPath
queries to be _portable_. That might not matter to you, but it
does to quite a few of us.

Cheers,

Miles

--
Miles Sabin                       Cromwell Media
Internet Systems Architect        5/6 Glenthorne Mews