RE: [dom-xpath] XPath or? (was RE: Announcing www-dom-xpath@w3.org)

From: Scott Boag/CAM/Lotus <Scott_Boag@lotus.com>
Date: Wed, 3 May 2000 10:54:47 -0400
To: www-dom-xpath@w3.org

"Dave Pawson" <dave.pawson@virgin.net> wrote:
> What justification would there be for this Scott? Under what
> circumstances would the speed gain be of use?

If you're running an XPath query 2000 times, the parsing time (and
potential static optimization) for the query can be significant.

> Nasty one. This implies a closer coupling to the dom than
> has been previously stated. Can I query dom for a namespace list?

You can resolve the prefix with the DOM.  But that's not the problem.  The
XPath could well come from a different XML file.  The namespaces need to be
resolved from that tree, not the context node of the tree being queried.

-scott