Differences DOM - XPath

From: <jeroen@tcf.nl>
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2000 23:29:26 +0200 (CEST)
To: www-dom-xpath@w3.org
Adding XPath API to the DOM seems like a sensible way of offering querying

We've created a DOM and an XPath implementation and there seems to be a good

There are however differences in the tree model which is used by XPath and DOM,
f.i. concerning NamespaceNodes.

To get this thing going I would suggest that we first setup the requirements
based on the dom issues and opportunties list.

It would be interesting to know the granularity needs for an API like this.
We do f.i. store parsed and optimized queries which are accessable for
execution, which gives performance advantages, although this can be left to the
implementation without disturbing too much.

I will make an inventory on the differences we've encountered when we did the
implementations. I would like to hear the same from others working on similar

I'm definitely interested in bringing this api to DOM level 3.

Best regards,

 Jeroen van Rotterdam
 The Connection Factory
 xhive, the OO XML database