Re: Using existing staff.xml based tests with HTML processors

From: Curt Arnold <carnold@houston.rr.com>
Date: Fri, 8 Mar 2002 09:13:19 -0600
To: <www-dom-ts@w3.org>
> I believe it would be more useful to use constructs like <div
class="employeeid"> and <a class="domestic" href=2xx">

That would require more substantial changes to the body of the test, since
the set up in most of the tests use a getElementsByTagName() to locate the
element that is the focus on the test.  If there is not a one-to-one
correspondance of an existing tag name to an HTML tag name, then a different
mechanism would have to be used to locate the focal element and the existing
tests and the HTML compatible tests would diverge more than necessary.  In
addition, all tests that retrieved tag names would have to be changed to
retrieve that class attribute.

Also, I'm not sure why the differentiating on "class" would be more
"useful".

p.s. The file that I suggested last night does display identically in Opera,
Mozilla and IE.  It can be accessed from cvsWeb at
http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2001/DOM-Test-Suite/tests/level1/core/fi
les/hc_staff.html?