RE: Using existing staff.xml based tests with HTML processors

> From: Mary Brady [mailto:mbrady@nist.gov]

> Would this approach require that all processors would have to support
> XHTML Modularization?

XHTML m12n is not something that a processor supports explicitly; as with any XML vocabulary, it depends on your needs.

A browser for example can display an extended XHTML document by treating known XHTML elements as usual while determining the display of the rest based on style (CSS) or some default handling rules (i.e. display the text contained in them). Validation is not mandatory.

Something more critical can validate such a document using a DTD or Schema that contains the XHTML modules along with the custom modules.

With m12n, you can use one file to perform HTML dependent tests (for example using HTML specific collections such as document.forms) or raw XML tests to non XHTML elements included in such a file while the file is valid (either as XML or XHTML).

Kindest regards,

Manos