RE: DOM L1 HTML changes

From: Joseph Kesselman <keshlam@us.ibm.com>
Date: Tue, 5 Mar 2002 13:01:52 -0500
To: "Arnold, Curt" <Curt.Arnold@hyprotech.com>
Cc: "'www-dom-ts@w3.org'" <www-dom-ts@w3.org>

>when we attempted to use pre-release
>versions of at Xalan-J 2.3, there were still problems with the large
number
>of document() calls being made in the transforms

Current versions of Xalan should be able to handle many more documents at
once than earlier versions, so I do think it's worth trying again. (If
you're using global variables  I'd recommend trying the current CVS code,
since I just discovered and fixed an annoying bug in 2.3.1's handling
thereof.)

If we still fail please do post a bug report, with a pointer to the current
testcase source so whoever tackles this can reproduce the failure on their
own machine.

Possibly relevant tip: If you're using for-each to step through a series of
documents, there's a special-purpose optimization in Xalan which lets you
tell it to discard these documents from memory (and recover the storage)
after that iteration of the for-each loop is complete, rather than caching
them for possible re-examination as is the default. To select this mode of
operation, insert the <?xalan:doc-cache-off?> processing instruction as an
immediate child of the <xsl:for-each/> element. This PI should be harmless
for other XSLT processors.

(Yes, we're aware that a more centralized and automated approach to
managing the document cache is needed.)

Joe Kesselman  / IBM Research