Re: Another issue

From: Joseph Kesselman <keshlam@us.ibm.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2002 09:02:42 -0500
To: <www-dom-ts@w3.org>

Re INUSE_ATTRIBUTE_ERR: Good catch. I believe I raised that question back
in the DOM 1 days and was told our intent was that this exception could and
should be raised if the Attr node was already in use _anywhere_, including
on the Element where you intended to set it. But I agree that the wording
you've quoted doesn't mandate that and needs to be clarified one way or the
other.

(This whole set of behaviors is left over from a time when we thought Attr
nodes might be shared by multiple elements. That idea was abandoned a
_very_ long time ago. Might it be time to consider biting the bullet and
making setAttributeNode[ns] imply removing the Attr from its previous
context first, as inserting a child node does?)

Joe Kesselman  / IBM Research