Re: Concerns regarding the W3 Document Object Model (DOM) Conformance Test Suites

Manos,

Thanks for the comment. I suppose my mind set is on Level 2 rather than
Level 1.

I stand corrected on the issue of DOM Level 1 creating Documents and
DOMImplementation. However, creating empty Documents via implementation
specific methods and using the remaining DOM methods to populate the
test document should still be possible and the preferred approach. I
still believe the introduction of parser related issues where not
absolutely required is inappropriate.

For Level 2 tests however the ability to bootstrap the tests from the
DOMImplementation interface means that external documents are not required.

Memory Management
http://www.w3.org/TR/2000/REC-DOM-Level-2-Core-20001113/core.html#ID-249F15BA

<quote>

The DOM Level 2 API does not define a standard way to create
DOMImplementation
<http://www.w3.org/TR/2000/REC-DOM-Level-2-Core-20001113/core.html#ID-102161490>
objects; DOM implementations must provide some proprietary way of
bootstrapping these DOM interfaces, and then all other objects can be
built from there.

</quote>

Interface DOMImplementation
http://www.w3.org/TR/2000/REC-DOM-Level-2-Core-20001113/core.html#ID-102161490