Re: Time to tag the CVS

Yeah, I know I've been quiet lately; sorry I've not been able to make
more time available.

Arnold, Curt writes:
 > Been a long road to this point.  Probably would be good to tag the CVS at
 > this point and continue on with the next milestones.  Any W3C convention for
 > tagging releases in the CVS?  If not, how about calling it L1Core-R1.0?

The "." in the tag name is not allowed by CVS (probably not by RCS
either).

For Python, we tag minor releases with r<version> and major releases
with release<version>, just dropping the dots (though that doesn't
scale).  Using a different term for "release" makes it easy to read
through the list of tags at the top of "cvs log" output.

If the W3C doesn't already have a convention, I'll propose the tags
like the "L1Core" you propose (perhaps a hyphen between the level and
the component would help readability?), and <version> is the version
number with dots replaced by underscores or hyphens (but always the
same).

  -Fred

--
Fred L. Drake, Jr.  <fdrake at acm.org>