Re: cleanup method, multiple documents, test dependencies

[bc] inline

Curt Arnold wrote:
> I think a cleanup method after the last test is run is generally useful for
> JSUnit, even if test document caching isn't used in the next iteration of
> the ECMAScript infrastructure.  The tests don't depend on it, for example,
> the Java tests don't attempt to reuse document instances.  It was just
> beneficial in the previous iteration.

[bc] agreed. It could even be used as a final reporting step if someone
wished to do so. I will discuss with Edward approaches for providing
this. This opens the possibility of tests maintaining state somewhere in
the jsUnit framework which I think is easily done.

> importNode tests use multiple test documents in one test case.

[bc] Ah! Of course, the perfect example. If this is a special case, as
it appears to be, perhaps we can use a custom approach for it instead of
generalizing jsUnit. This can be achieved by using an iframe in the test
page combined with the one already a part of the document loader or by
two iframes in the test page. The precondition for the test to begin
would be that both test documents had loaded. This was the style I used
in my original update to jsUnit. I removed it in 1.3.0 alpha in order to
relieve test authors of having to manage the document loading logic.

> I'm very skeptical on the value of trying to interlink tests and not sure
> about the motivation.  At the current point, I don't think the complexity of
> individual tests justifies trying to provide substantial reuse capabilities
> into the DOM TS language.

[bc] Agreed unless someone can provide us with a compelling reason.