Re: Crimson 1.1.3 tests

The deal is that SAX clearly specifies that those IDs are supposed to
be resolved, so that's how Crimson does it.  (Xerces just as clearly
violates the SAX spec in this area.  See the "saxunit 0.2" tests now
available at http://xmlconf.sourceforge.net ...)  I suspect that if you had
included the GNUJAXP software you'd find it also resolves those
URIs.  (What test software were you running?  The "domunit 0.0.6"
test cases don't address such issues.)

If you want rationales, I'll share two beyond "it's allowed and
conforms with the specs".  First, the original expectation with XML
was that as "SGML on the web", all system IDs would be URLs.
And second, since DOM levels 1 and 2 don't expose information
about the base URLs of nodes, it'd seem that ever exposing relative
URLs through DOM would be buglike.  I know there were some
discussions early in the L2 timeframe about exposing those bases,
but that never happened.

Was there some rationale available for DOM implementations
that chose to expose relative URIs while hiding the base URIs
needed to interpret them?

FYI, there's now a SAX feature flag defined to control how those
IDs get handled:

    http://xml.org/sax/features/resolve-dtd-uris

See the listing of such flags

    http://www.saxproject.org/apidoc/org/xml/sax/package-summary.html

Some of those IDs support "SAX extensions 1.1", which I may put
out as a "beta" release soon.  (All the RFEs have been answered.)

- Dave