Re: Parameter names for getElementsByTagName in DOM L3

From: Philippe Le Hegaret <plh@w3.org>
Date: Tue, 06 Nov 2001 16:07:52 +0100
To: www-dom@w3.org
Cc: www-dom-ts@w3.org
> From: "Curt Arnold" <carnold@houston.rr.com>
> Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2001 01:29:35 -0500
> Subject: Parameter names for getElementsByTagName in DOM L3
>
> Document.getElementsByTagName's parameter is named "tagname", Element.getElementsByTagName's parameter is named "name".  Doesn't matter in the big scheme of things but it does complicate production of the test markup language.  If possible, could parameter "name" be changed to "tagname" in DOM L3 Core.

Some languages are already using the parameter names to pass them to the methods,
as Fred pointed out in [1]. It would be a non backward compatible change to
rename
the parameters. Unfortunately, we didn't think about that in the past and were
not
careful about the names of the parameters. This is now part of our concerns
for DOM Level 3.

Philippe

[1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-dom/2001OctDec/0041.html