Request for clarification

From: Mary Brady <mbrady@nist.gov>
Date: Tue, 6 Mar 2001 17:33:09 -0500
To: <www-dom-ts@w3.org>
Hi Everyone,

We are in the process of updating our tests to DOM L2 and have
come across a couple of questions.

     1)  The setPrefix() method will throw a  NAMESPACE_ERR DOMException if
     the specified prefix is  malformed.  The same method will also throw an
     INVALID_CHARACTER_ERR if the specified prefix contains an illegal character.
     What is the difference between a malformed prefix and a
     prefix with an invalid character? How are they distinguished?

     2) The setPrefix() method will throw a NO_MODIFICATION_ALLOWED_ERR if this
     node is readonly.  How do you determine if a node is readonly or not?  Is there a way
     to specify a node as readonly?  As it turns out, we had problems converting our read
     only tests to Java and do not have any tests in this area.  Can anyone suggest a
     test scenario that will give us a read-only node that we can then manipulate?

Thanks,

Mary Brady
NIST, Conformance Testing
mbrady@nist.gov