RE: [General] DOM Level 1 HTML tests

Philippe wrote:
> To be precise: the current DOM Level 1 Core test suite only
> tests the DOM XML implementation in Mozilla and IE. It
> doesn't test their DOM HTML implementation. Curt tested the
> DOM SVG implementation of Adobe/Batik against the DOM Level 1
> Core Test Suite. We should be able to do the same to test the
> DOM HTML implementation. After all, a DOM HTML implementation
> must support the Core at the same time.

It was fairly simple to take staff.xml and create staff.svg since SVG allows
any non-SVG namespace element to appear in SVG and is ignored by the reader.
The only change that was significant to the tests was that the root element
was "svg" instead of "staff" causing a handful of tests to fail.

The DOM L1 tests, though not explicitly tied to a contentType, do require
that there are elements named "employee", "address", etc that are not
representable in traditional HTML.

I had been waiting for NIST to commit their HTML tests for several weeks
now.  My suspicion is that some significant portion of these may really be
Core tests working on HTML content instead of tests that depend on HTML
interfaces.

As I suggested in a previous message, it would be pretty simple to determine
those tests that fall into that category by attempting to validate those
files against the DOM L1 schema (with the namespace hacked to Level-2).  If
a test validates against the hacked L1 schema, then it does not depend on
HTML specific interfaces and should be moved to Core.

I'd would recommend holding off finalizing DOM L1 core until the NIST HTML
test submission is reviewed.

I'm starting to travel tomorrow and will be infrequently checking my email.
Hope that all of you have a great Christmas and New Years.