RE: contentType effects for test writers (build updated for HTML L2)

From: Arnold, Curt <Curt.Arnold@hyprotech.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2001 10:44:20 -0700
To: "'www-dom-ts@w3.org'" <www-dom-ts@w3.org>
I'd say UTF-8 for the XHTML files.  I believe that UTF-16 would have to be
treated as a binary file by CVS and UTF-16 capable text editors are less
prevalent.  Other encodings (ISO-8859-1, etc) are not required to be
supported by XML processors.

I don't know about the HTML files.  I assume, based on the previous efforts,
there aren't a lot of non-ASCII characters in your test documents.  So,
UTF-8, ISO-8859-1 or US-ASCII should all be interchangable.  I don't know
which are most commonly supported by browsers.