RE: SV: [General] Status?

> Fred L. Drake, Jr. [mailto:fdrake@acm.org] wrote:
> Dimitris Dimitriadis writes:
>  > 2. A general discussion as to whether ANT will be used as
> the primary tool  > for builds.
>
>   I'm sure someone posted a link already, but I must have
> missed it. Where should I go for source code for this?  Is it
> in Java or some language that's better supported on Linux?
>   Thanks!

http://jakarta.apache.org/ant

Ant is written in Java and is the preferred build tool for Apache projects.  I've tested the build process under SuSE Linux 7.2 without incident.

I believe Ant can run on JDK 1.1, but the tests as currently generated use java.util.Collection so they require a JDK 1.2.  You may have to install a Java 2 JDK since the distributions might only
provide a JDK 1.1.  I can take a look at generating Java 1.1 compatible code if that seems beneficial.

Unfortunately, the <style> task that executes XSLT transformation has some problems with base directories on Ant 1.3 that have been resolved in the current Ant source, but has not been formally
released.  I haven't had any problems using a nightly build.

There were problems with the Crimson (XML Parser) or Xalan (XSLT processor) that was bundled in the nightly build, so I copied the Xerces.jar and Xalan.jar from the  Xalan-J 2.1 release to the ant/lib
directory and removed the jaxp.jar and crimson.jar.  I guess I should isolate the problems and let the appropriate teams know about it.

Doing anything will require a set of tests.  I have a set of tests that I have been using to test the generation process that were stripped from the NIST test matrix.  However, these test are
significantly out-of-date with what NIST has internally and will hopefully start to make available.