Re: [Xmlconf-developer] FW: [General] Language-independent test representation

From: David Brownell <david-b@pacbell.net>
Date: Sat, 28 Apr 2001 11:08:59 -0700
To: "Arnold, Curt" <Curt.Arnold@hyprotech.com>, xmlconf-developer@lists.sourceforge.net
Cc: www-dom-ts@w3.org
> 1. The tests will be represented in a language-neutral, XML format.
> This format will be posted to this list to be discussed

I'd at least like to see some standards for the test metadata.
That is, XML would naturally be used to describe each test case,
its input data, its output data, and how results get reported.

I have in mind that a test run could just spit out lots of XML
results (test ABC passed, failed with result "foo", etc.) that an
XSLT stylesheet would crunch into a test results report (which
could highlight nonconformance problems).  In the same way,
some different stylesheet could crunch a test description report
from those test inputs, which could be used to assess testing
depth and coverage.

That perspective leaves open a hole in the middle where
the language-specific API testing is actually done, which I
suspect is where some of the current thought has gone.  For
that I'd likely be content to have collections of language
specific code making the API calls -- which may not be
the model that some other folk are working with.

- Dave