Re: MSXML 3 with NIST JSUnit tests

From: Joseph Kesselman <keshlam@us.ibm.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2001 19:42:45 -0400
To: "Arnold, Curt" <Curt.Arnold@hyprotech.com>
Cc: "'www-dom-ts@w3.org'" <www-dom-ts@w3.org>

>"XML" is not a valid value for target.

The test is a bad one, and should be fixed.

As is noted in the DOM FAQ, some DOMs have been using a PI with the name
"XML" as a stopgap representation of the XML Declaration or Text
Declaration, pending the better solution expected in DOM Level 3. This is a
cheat, and I can't blame MS for complaining.

On the other hand, at this time I really can't recommend this as a negative
test either -- because this cheat _is_ being actively used.

The wisest solution, for DOM Level 2 and earlier, is probably to rewrite
this test to use a different PI name. The DOM Level 3 compliance suite
(when we're ready for it) may be able to include the negative test as well.

Joe Kesselman  / IBM Research