Re: Ideas collected during the W3C QA Workshop

From: Joseph Kesselman <keshlam@us.ibm.com>
Date: Mon, 9 Apr 2001 15:36:53 -0400
To: "Markus Mielke" <mmielke@microsoft.com>
Cc: <www-dom-ts@w3.org>

>I think the issue being addressed here is that tests shouldn't expect
>elements in any particular order

Watch out for terminology, since "element" is a key word when discussing
XML... A test should certainly expect Elements to be in a particular order,
since that's semantically meaningful and well-specified. There are specific
kinds of Nodes that are not considered to be ordered, Attrs being the most
obvious, and a test for those specific cases should confirm that the right
things are appearing but not enforce order.

>web based issue (bug) tracking system

Apache's started using Bugzilla again, now that some security and
configuration concerns have been dealt with. I have no opinion on it versus
other tools, but so far it seems to work and some folks may already be
familiar with it.

>The number of returned attributes is dependent on the DTD of the given
>platform.

I don't think I understand this issue... The DTD's default attributes do
get included in the result, certainly. But the DTD should be specified as
part of the testcase, so that shouldn't be an issue. If you may be running
against multiple DTDs (eg for HTML), either specify which one much be used
for this test or enumerate what the results should be for each.

Joe Kesselman  / IBM Research