RE: Innovative use of DIAL for IT management

From: Christian Timmerer \(ITEC\) <christian.timmerer@itec.uni-klu.ac.at>
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2006 11:54:02 +0200
To: "'Smith, Kevin, VF-Group'" <Kevin.Smith@vodafone.com>, <www-di@w3.org>
Cc: <christian.timmerer@itec.uni-klu.ac.at>

Dear Kevin,

   thanks for this article which is very interesting. The article describes
how information (in a proprietary format like key-value pairs or
comma-separated values) from different devices is transformed into XML
format using a Java program(s). The claim is - as I understood it - that
this XML document is compliant to DIAL.

I have some questions/comments:

-     How is interoperability provided concerning the terms used within the
adapter? For example, "Device" may have a different meaning for the network
devices than for digital camera or projector.

-     Is a document compliant to DIAL if it is XML format?

-     Following this approach, it is required to have a Java program for
each proprietary format of each device, right or have I missed something?

To be honest, I'm missing the last step, i.e., between the "Adapter" and the
"Web browser on the PC".

Thank you.

Best regards,

 -Christian

:--

:- Dipl.-Ing. Dr. Christian Timmerer

:- Department of Information Technology (ITEC)

:- Klagenfurt University, Austria

:- http://research.timmerer.com