RE: Device Independence Working Group publishes DIAL primer

Hi Jose,

Thanks for your additional comments. Here are my responses.

Complexity of implementation:

Clearly, XHTML 2 is a bigger language than earlier XHTML versions. However it is much better suited to device independent authoring. It also has really good facilities for metadata integration which is important to many mobile operators and for advanced adaptation. XForms is a much better forms platform and much easier to adapt to a myriad of devices. Interestingly, there are many implementations of XForms in existence. The XForms working group maintains a list at http://www.w3.org/MarkUp/Forms/#implementations. There are also implementations within adaptation engines. Volantis, for example, has such an implementation.

Layouts:

The work is at a very early stage. Just think of the ability to define a layout independent of styling and content. Selection might be used to pick different versions of a layout definition for use in different circumstances. Similarly, different versions of a CSS stylesheet might be chosen for use in different circumstances. I'll include a CSS example in the DISelect primer. Maybe best to wait for the next version of that document.

Selection rules by inclusion:

Both mechanisms you describe are supported. Inclusion itself is a matter for the host document. XHTML 2 has one mechanism. We think we may also want to add XInclude, but have not really looked at that fully yet.

Selection rules and repositories:

We chose to go with XHTML 2 a long time ago because of its superiority as a basis for an authoring language. Group member companies have considerable experience of trying to build adaptation solutions on older XHTML versions and the difficulties that are presented. We concluded that XHTML 2 was a much better proposition. As I've pointed out there are plenty of XForms implementations and those adaptation companies that have already implemented them have not encountered any particular difficulties.

XHTML 1 vs XHTML 2:

Actually, practical commercial experience with real customers suggests a preference for XHTML 2 facilities. Far from being a problem, XHTML 2 is an advantage.

Profiles:

There is nothing whatever to prevent you using DIWG developed formalisms in other language profiles. It's just that we're not working on those right now. The companies in the working group, who have many years of commercial DI and adaptation experience, chose to base the DIAL profile on XHTML 2 as the best available version for DI purposes. However, we also deliberately chose to make DISelect a completely separate specification, so it can be combined with other host languages. Hence, if you want to create a profile of, say, XHTML 1 and DISelect, you can. We expect to pursue the same approach with other modules. In other words, where we create something new, we'll build it so that it can be used outside DIAL, even though we use it within DIAL.

Names:

Naming things is difficult, and can be very personal. Actually, our experience with explaining this to our (Volantis) customers is that they understand it very quickly.

Structure of extensions

Let me re-emphasize that the extensions we have defined in DIWG can be used outside DIAL. The improvements in device independence of XHTML 2 over XHTML 1 are a matter for the HTML group. However, in large part, these are due to their decision to use XForms.

Best wishes

Rhys