RE: Web page layouts in different cultures - question from DIWG

So are we saying that (X)HTML + CSS3 should offer same or similar
support for vertical and RTL text as XSL and SVG already do? Or in other
words that (X)HTML + CSS3 should catch up on XSL and SVG? Does it then
mean that the XSL and SVG specs could be used as a starting point for
(X)HTML + CSS3?

This would be nice because it means there already is a starting point
and in re-using the same concepts, it would make the three technologies
consistent. And consistency is good because consistency helps making
systems that produce that type of data and systems that consume it (in
particular user agents) simpler. Simplicity is good because simple
systems are less prone to bugs.

Bruno

DIWG

> Yes. Absolutely.  I was talking about (X)HTML in my previous note.
>

> ============
> Richard Ishida
> W3C
>
> contact info:
> http://www.w3.org/People/Ishida/
>
> W3C Internationalization:
> http://www.w3.org/International/
>
> Publication blog:
> http://people.w3.org/rishida/blog/
>

> ________________________________

text
> support is
> 		available using IE already (though I'm not recommending
this

http://people.w3.org/rishida/scripts/samples/japanese.html
> (select the
> 		direction in the right hand column). Note how the text
does
> not fill the
> 		page vertically. )
>

> 	No need to wait for CSS3, both XSL
> 	  http://www.w3.org/TR/2001/REC-xsl-20011015/
> 	<http://www.w3.org/TR/2001/REC-xsl-20011015/> and SVG (check
section
> 10)
> 	  http://www.w3.org/TR/SVG11/
> 	<http://www.w3.org/TR/SVG11/> support vertical text in their
current
> Recommendations. The CSS3 proposals of record are largely based on the
XSL

This e-mail and attachments has been scanned for viruses. Please email virus@cambista.net if you have detected a virus in this mail.