Re: Web page layouts in different cultures - question from DIWG

On Monday, September 19, 2005, 2:43:58 PM, Bruno wrote:

BG> This is particularly obvious on multi-lingual sites where for instance
BG> the English version might have a menu column on the left and the Arabic
BG> version the same menu on the right. This can potentially cause headaches
BG> in terms of code because a lot of CSS properties are absolute rather
BG> than relative to the layout direction (e.g. float:left/right,
BG> margin-left, padding-right, etc.)

This is exactly why XSL, and then SVG, use the better-internationalized
terms start and end instead of left and right; and before and after
rather then top and bottom.

BG> Although I have never worked with languages that traditionally display
BG> vertically (i.e. you read columns top to bottom rather than lines), I
BG> suspect you'd want horizontal scrolling. Unfortunately neither HTML nor
BG> CSS support vertical layout.

However, both XSL and SVG do. CSS3 may end up supporting verticallayout
as well.

BG> And that's only for languages still widely used today. Hieroglyphic
BG> scripts such as ancient Maya are even more complex.

Mayan is best modeled as text on a path.

 Chair, W3C SVG Working Group
 W3C Graphics Activity Lead
 Co-Chair, W3C Hypertext CG