[DPF] Defining event types in terms of DPF-based expressions?

From: Keith Waters <kwaters@ftrd.us>
Date: Thu, 23 Jun 2005 09:10:50 -0400
To: www-di@w3.org

Hi Dan,

This message contains a response to comments on

http://www.w3.org/TR/2004/WD-DPF-20041122/

"For each property, information may be provided for use in
initialization, and for determining the conditions under which events
are raised to signal updates to the property value." This gave me the
impression that I could use conditional expressions such as those in
Appendix B, to define event triggering conditions (perhaps conceived
of as defining event types). The expression used in Appendix B2
interacts with the HTML via the DISelect spec. Could the expression
instead be associated with a type of event, so that scripting in the
style of B1 would be possible.

eg. "dpf:component()/device/battery < 20" ...as a trigger condition
to raise a LowBatteryConditionEvent.

Is this possible? planned? or a misunderstanding of your approach?

Response:

No, there is no intent to support conditional event triggering in
this version of the specification. We have updated the XPath example
to try and clarify the meaning.

-Keith Waters