[DPF] Exceptions text muddle

From: Keith Waters <kwaters@ftrd.us>
Date: Wed, 6 Jul 2005 14:46:29 -0400
To: www-di@w3.org

Hi Jeremy,

This message contains a response to comments on

http://www.w3.org/TR/2004/WD-DPF-20041122/

There seems to have been a number of editorial errors with the text
defining the conditions leading to exceptions.

A glaring copy/paste one is last sentence of 4.2.5 the property in
question has no previous parent, this text seems to have been
miscopied from 4.2.4

A large number of exceptions have no text describing when they happen
in a particular method.

I suggest significant effort to clarify here. I would like to see,
under each method, a table, with one column with the exception, and a
second with a description of the exception condition as it occurs in
this method.

While such text would be boring (both to write and to read) and would
duplicate (to some extent) section 4.8, I think it would be helpful
and clear.

I also have a number of substantive issues (s8, s9, s10, s14, s15) to
do with exceptions, which I believe stem partly from the lack of
clarity of the current text leading to mistakes.

Response:

The exception sections have undergone significant updates and several
editorial as well as logical errors have been corrected as a result.
We have removed exceptions that do not fit within the method context
as well as added new exceptions that could arise during interface
usage. The explanations for these exceptions have been updated/added.
Each exception has been explained in the latest draft within each
interface context and a seperate section listing all the exceptions
including general definitions for these has been added.

-Keith Waters