Comments on DI Glossary

From: Dominique HazaŽl-Massieux <dom@w3.org>
Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2005 10:56:39 +0200
To: www-di@w3.org
Hi,

Reading through the DI Glossary published on January 2005 [1], I noted
the following points:
* "perceivable unit" and "user experience" have (mostly) the same
definition; this seems quite odd to me, as the concepts seem pretty far
apart in their common sense
* "Resource Manifestation" is an outdated terminology; Web Arch (and
other documents) uses Representation [2]; more generally, I would be
very cautious with terms and definitions from the Web Characterization
Terminology & Definitions sheets, since most of them are likely to have
better equivalents.
* the definition for URI should be replaced by something more official
(e.g. the one in Web Arch [2]); in any case, the current one is wrong (a
URI is not necessarily "short", and I'm not sure "an HTML document, an
image, a down-loadable file" are the best examples of resources [they
rather are representations AFAICT]).
* I'm not sure what the point of having an additional definition for
"Web Page Identifier"; what does it bring over URI?

Dom

1. http://www.w3.org/TR/2005/WD-di-gloss-20050118/
2. http://www.w3.org/TR/2004/REC-webarch-20041215/#index
W3C/ERCIM