RE: Multi-channel content

On 21 May 2004 at 10:29, Rotan Hanrahan wrote:

> A complete database is a very intensive, time-consuming and ultimately
> expensive operation. Commercial solutions exist. They are comprehensive.
> The UAProf information is within such solutions, but (speaking from
> our experience) the UAProf info is terribly insufficient to produce
> solutions for Device Independence. Therefore these DBs are extended
> with considerable additional information to support DI products, and
> are typically updated every few days (as new devices appear, and new
> characteristics are identified by customers/users). Unfortunately this
> would put such DBs out of reach for non-commercial activities. Members
> of DIWG (including MobileAware and Volantis) have regularly mentioned
> such databases within their products. Interoperability and compatibility
> across these solutions is desireable in the long term, which is a
> prime motivation for supporting the development of CC/PP, and eventually
> a core vocabulary (of attributes, etc.). However, I doubt that even a
> standard DB based on CC/PP will ever cover the breadth of knowledge
> required by the solution providers already in the market, so there will
> always be a gap between the commercial repositories and what you can
> get for free.

I already posted this on the list, anyway I'll take this chance to do it again.
You might want to take a look at WURFL: http://wurfl.sf.net/
The project is not EXACTLY about device independence, but rather about collecting
info about many mobile devices to help developers offer a better device recognition
and markup generation.

- Andrea