Re: UA strings

On Tue, Jun 22, 2004 at 10:29:23AM +0200, Andrea Trasatti wrote:
> In general a manufacturer can give whatever browser name they like. They SHOULD
> give a single user agent to each device model. Some manufacturers have a single UA
> per model, some other, such as Nokia, give you a revision number too. This is extra
> non-required info.
> Nokia devices are, in general:

I found an informative PDF:
[1] http://ncsp.forum.nokia.com/csp/?body=detail;aid=11550

See page 11.

Yes they should give a single *versioned* user agent to a model? So the
developer knows what to expect with a certain model?

I like to think the UA is more important. Differences in the UA software
must be *required* info. Tracking UA developments is what I want to see
happen. Mobile UAs need lots of work IMO...

> <main version> is generally 1.0. We some exceptions such as the 3100 sold in EU and
> the 3100 sold in USA. The latter has main version 2.0 and the big difference is that it

It's GSM vs CDMA right?

> From my experience, Nokia prepares 1 UAProf for each main version, as it was said on
> the list, the name is generally like Nokia3100R100 or Nokia3100R200.

Each main version of the User Agent software? Or the model?

Reading the PDF document [1] above (is there a way to link a PDF page as
HTML?!?!) it seems this browser comes under DP 1.0. Developer Platform
1.0. Can anyone clarify?

> Last but not least, on your webpage you talk about "MmsMaxImageResolution" that is
> the max image resolution for an image in an MMS message. The device will
> automatically resize it to fit the screen!

Would it not be good if the browser UA did that too? :)
I think IE does this. And hence a user probably expects this to happen
by default.

> Some devices will also resize/rescale/crop images to fit the screen while browsing
> WAP sites (if the image doesn't exceed the maximum byte-size allowed).
> Ganesh: check out the Alcatel UAProfs, they define the available screen pixels while
> browsing WAP sites and not the actual screen size.

Yes on that horrible inaccessible PDF, page 9 Nokia tells about the
"screensize area reserved". Why isn't that in the UAProf I wonder?!

I added a comment:
http://natalian.org/archives/2004/06/18/nokia-inline-image-test/#comments
Which says that if the image is small enough, the UA seems to be able
handle really high resolutions! But it wraps it strangely. Can't figure
out WTF it's trying to do. It's probably broken.

It is really scary to see that matrix in that PDF [1] with various bits
and pieces (alignment, emphasis support, Style via CSS, Style via XHTML
etc.) implemented and not implemented. It's so fragmented right now. :/