Re: UA strings

On 21 Jun 2004 at 18:58, Kai Hendry wrote:

> On Mon, Jun 21, 2004 at 03:36:55 +0000, ganesh@t-email.co.uk wrote:
> > > For example: Nokia3100/1.1 (06.01) Profile/MIDP-1.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.0

Hello Kai,
	I think you're messing up things a little bit (I also checked your page on
natalian.org). Also keep in mind that Nokia is probably one of the best manufacturers
when talking about giving info to the developers. Generally other manufacturers don't
give you support unless you're a "tight" partner.
In general a manufacturer can give whatever browser name they like. They SHOULD
give a single user agent to each device model. Some manufacturers have a single UA
per model, some other, such as Nokia, give you a revision number too. This is extra
non-required info.
Nokia devices are, in general:

<main version> is generally 1.0. We some exceptions such as the 3100 sold in EU and
the 3100 sold in USA. The latter has main version 2.0 and the big difference is that it
supports XHTML (from a WAP browser point of view). I don't think there are other big
differences (except that it's not 900-1800). You will get MANY, MANY software
revisions from Nokia, but if you catch an exception you're about sure that any other
device with the same software revision will have the same bug or feature. Any Nokia
device (like most devices from many manufacturers) can have the software upgraded.
<other> is referrred to info about Symbian OS, MIDP, CLDC and anything else the
manufacturer wants to let you know.
Openwave browsers give you the browser revision in 99.9% of the cases

From my experience, Nokia prepares 1 UAProf for each main version, as it was said on
the list, the name is generally like Nokia3100R100 or Nokia3100R200.

Last but not least, on your webpage you talk about "MmsMaxImageResolution" that is
the max image resolution for an image in an MMS message. The device will
automatically resize it to fit the screen!

Some devices will also resize/rescale/crop images to fit the screen while browsing
WAP sites (if the image doesn't exceed the maximum byte-size allowed).

Ganesh: check out the Alcatel UAProfs, they define the available screen pixels while
browsing WAP sites and not the actual screen size.

Best,
	Andrea

PS: Some manufacturer bought a software for on-the-air upgrades, but I don't know if
any device was ever sold in EU.

Andrea Trasatti
Bware Technologies
http://www.bware.it