Re: Relationship of this group to MPEG-12?

Mehran Moshfeghi wrote:

> What is the relationship of this W3C activity to the MPEG-12 work
> (particularly the digital item adaptation aspect of it)?

I assume you mean work on the proposed MPEG-21 standard?

Let me suggest some differences and similarities.

There is a difference of focus. The W3C Device Independence activity is
based on the desire to present web content across all web-connected
devices. It does this primarily through the evolution of web markup
standards. My understanding of the goals of the MPEG-21 work is to
provide a framework for describing and manipulating digital media in
general, not necessarily related to the web.

On the other hand, there are a range of common technologies both could
use, such as the choice of metadata to describe content and delivery
context, and the use of adaptation to produce appropriate versions of
content for some purpose.

At a detailed level, there are likely to be some topics that overlap
both groups, such as the definition of device capabilities. The W3C DI
Working Group will consult with other groups to try and achieve a common
approach whenever possible. One of the reasons for giving early
visibility of our work is to help identify such areas of common interest.

Roger Gimson
(DI WG Chair)

--
HP Laboratories, Filton Road, Stoke Gifford, Bristol BS34 8QZ, ENGLAND
roger_gimson@hpl.hp.com   Tel: +44 117-312-8167  Fax: +44 117-312-8925