Re: Offline capable devices/solutions

mikael.lundahl@intentia.se wrote:
> - The [Butler] reference (
> http://www.hpl.hp.com/techreports/2001/HPL-2001-83.html) in the Device
> Independence Principles WD document is not accessible. Is there another
> place where the document can be found?

You should be able to access this document, which is on an external HP
site. The link currently works for me, but as I am inside the HP firewall
my access route may differ. There is also a raw HTML version available at:
http://www-uk.hpl.hp.com/people/marbut/currTechDevInd.htm

> Is there an ambition from the DIP Working Group to cover issues related to
> offline capable solutions? My vision is that the user shouldn't have to
> know whether he is working online or offline, i.e. the entire framework has
> to handle these circumstances transparently to the user.

Transparency will not be achievable in many circumstances - for example,
when clicking a link to some static content that has not been cached in
the device (due perhaps to storage limitations), or when accessing real-
time information.

Given that offline browsing is already implemented in many devices, I
would be interested to hear what additional requirements you believe are
necessary that the DI Working Group might need to consider.

Regards,

Roger Gimson

--
HP Laboratories, Filton Road, Stoke Gifford, Bristol BS34 8QZ, ENGLAND
roger_gimson@hpl.hp.com   Tel: +44 117-312-8167  Fax: +44 117-312-8925