Re: Offline capable devices/solutions

From: Roger Gimson <roger_gimson@hplb.hpl.hp.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2001 12:03:14 +0100
To: mikael.lundahl@intentia.se
CC: www-di@w3.org
mikael.lundahl@intentia.se wrote:
> - The [Butler] reference (
> http://www.hpl.hp.com/techreports/2001/HPL-2001-83.html) in the Device
> Independence Principles WD document is not accessible. Is there another
> place where the document can be found?

You should be able to access this document, which is on an external HP
site. The link currently works for me, but as I am inside the HP firewall
my access route may differ. There is also a raw HTML version available at:

> Is there an ambition from the DIP Working Group to cover issues related to
> offline capable solutions? My vision is that the user shouldn't have to
> know whether he is working online or offline, i.e. the entire framework has
> to handle these circumstances transparently to the user.

Transparency will not be achievable in many circumstances - for example,
when clicking a link to some static content that has not been cached in
the device (due perhaps to storage limitations), or when accessing real-
time information.

Given that offline browsing is already implemented in many devices, I
would be interested to hear what additional requirements you believe are
necessary that the DI Working Group might need to consider.

Roger Gimson

HP Laboratories, Filton Road, Stoke Gifford, Bristol BS34 8QZ, ENGLAND
roger_gimson@hpl.hp.com   Tel: +44 117-312-8167  Fax: +44 117-312-8925