Re: Combining collaboration and annotation

From: Marc Salomon <marc@ckm.ucsf.edu>
Date: Mon, 22 Jul 1996 12:04:11 -0700
To: www-annotation@w3.org
Cc: www-collaboration@w3.org
Karen wrote:
|In this case, annotation refers to a more specific type of
|collaboration.  The annotation working group has been discussing
|annotations as documents or objects which reference or annotate
|other documents or objects (including other annotations).

I've been thinking that annotation is but a special case of metadata.  Just
another object containing data that describe an object.  If we were to wave a
magic wand to whisk away the problems of addressing annotations to a version
and/or partial-object (byte ranges, etc), an annotation server could use the
same interface to list annotations as it would for more general forms of
metadata on objects it served.

-marc